Thursday, March 22, 2012

Jesus spoke these words; "My child, I have need of victims, and strong victims, who by their sufferings, tribulations, and difficulties, make amends for sinners and for their ingratitude." - Saint Gemma Galgani, letters


As it stands to reason we as created and contingent beings, brought into existence not in any random or chaotic way or reason, we exist to love God and follow to serve others in order for all souls to find Christ and in the end obtain eternal salvation.  While it is not easy to understand or imitate Christ of the world, as the world stands in direct contradiction to Christ, His teachings and His Church there are examples of souls that have lived their lives in following Christ in a very austere and direct way, to the point that those people close to them, did not understand them.  While the world quickly attempts to dismisses, with mental gymnastics, the existence of God, Jesus and His Church, one has to look no further than to history and the examples and writings of such souls.  We are brought into existence body, mind/soul composite not by any willing or desire of our own but only by the love of God.  As we are created in the image and likeness of God, our Creator, we are called to follow and imitate His Son.   As this philosophical assertion is not without question and debate, by people that wish to live outside any moral compass or benchmark, it is impossible to dismiss the existence of God, Christ, and His Church and such teachings, with any sound logic and reason.

As the world rejects God and the teachings of The Church, a fundamental issue the world cannot reason with, and struggles with, pain and suffering.  Because the United States was not founded on Catholic teachings but on fundamentalists, protestant beliefs, the idea of “Redemptive Suffering” is foreign and absurd not only to atheists but anyone without a solid Catholic foundational formation. 

As stated in the Catechism of the Catholic Church on suffering;

The Holy Spirit gives to some, a special charism of healing so as to make manifest the power of the grace of the risen Lord.  But even the most intense prayers do not always obtain the healing of all illnesses.  Thus St. Paul must learn from the Lord that “my grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness,” and that the sufferings to be endured can mean that “in my flesh I complete what is lacking in Christ’s afflictions for the sake of His Body that is the Church.” (CCC 1508)


Union with the passion of Christ. By the grace of this sacrament this person receives the strength and the gift of uniting himself more closely to Christ’s Passion: in a certain way he is consecrated to bear fruit by the configuration to the Savior’s redemptive Passion.  Suffering a consequence of original sin, acquires a new meaning; it becomes a participation of the saving work of Jesus. (CCC 1521)

As this teaching reaches beyond any human nature in a normal life, the idea of “Cancer” to anyone that does not accept the existence of God and Christ, causes abject fear and terror, let alone having to endure pain and suffering because of such.  Furthermore, Christ’s Passion and crucifixion is beyond understanding to the world, as it is the core fundamental event, not only to Catholic’s but in history.  Without the crucifixion there would be no reason for, or understanding of suffering or pain, as well as the empty tomb on Easter Sunday.  People would celebrate nothing more than the Spring Solstice.  Using sound reason to assert without the crucifixion, suffering and pain in our lives would make no sense.  Hence, how is it possible for anyone using sound logic and reason, to attempt to dismiss the existence of God and Christ and then in turn explain the existence of pain and suffering?  How can anyone understand pain and suffering if not under the shadow of the cross of Christ? 

As contingent beings and created in the image and likeness of God, we are created in order to find God and do His will, and in the end obtain eternal salvation or eternal damnation.  All human beings have the freewill to choose to follow or to not follow Christ.  It is with and in chosen souls God reveals the deepest mysteries in order for us to see and experience Him.  They are stars shining brightly allowing us to, on some level see and understand such depths.
  
As Christ stated,   

“Come to me, all you that labour, and are burdened, and I will refresh you. Take up my yoke upon you, and learn from me, because I am meek, and humble of heart: and you shall find rest to your souls. For my yoke is sweet and my burden light.” (Mt 11:28-30). The Holy Bible (1966) The Holy Bible - RSV - Catholic Edition.

“Then Jesus said to his disciples: If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me. For he that will save his life, shall lose it: and he that shall lose his life for my sake, shall find it. Or what doth it profit a man, if he gain the whole world, and suffer the loss of his own soul? Or what exchange shall a man give for his soul?”  (Mt 16:24-26) The Holy Bible (1966) – RSV – Catholic Edition. (1966)

Only the depths of a soul being enlightened by God can grasp and taste the pain and suffering that one endures which allows one to understand how and why one can endure such.  As the soul journeys with its’ Creator, only by and with His grace, the soul can endure and see that such suffering and pain brings about clarity.  This clarity is not that of the learned soul but the unlearned soul that seeks ONLY Jesus in order to imitate and follow Him.  This clarity is only by the grace of God and by His will that a soul can see with such simplistic clarity.  One such person is Caterina of Siena, a mystic and doctor of the church known for her dialogue with God the Father.  As she was quoted in a biography by Alyce Curtayne, 

“Let us endure, let us endure, dearest brother; for the more pain we suffer down here with Christ crucified, the more glory shall we receive; and no pain will be so much rewarded, as mental pain and labour of the heart; for these are the greatest pains of all and therefore worthy of the greatest fruit.”  Curtayne (1987, p. 48)

As Caterina was one of the youngest of 25 children, she was illiterate and uneducated and with no formal education; she was by the grace of God, raised to heights of simplistic clarity to see and endure such pain and suffering.  She was, for the last several years of her life, unable to eat neither solid food nor drink water, in addition to sleeping only a few hours, every few nights. She was a contradiction to the world and even her own family. The world did not understand her and viewed her as poor and a crazy, lost, little girl.  “The soul cannot live without loving, for we must love either God or the world. And, the soul always unites itself with what it loves and is transformed by it.” Curtayne (1987)  


The following citation from The Diary of Sister Marie “Faustyna” Kowalska, asserts a similar disposition as Caterina.  Her desire to imitate and follow Christ and not the world and all of its’ vain glory and sin-folly, she like Caterina was uneducated, yet without any formal education and training was raised to the heights of simplistic clarity to see God to that of the world.  Would it not stand to reason by the examples of such souls, point us to the existence of God and Christ and give us the knowledge and reason in order to understand pain and suffering.  Does it not make sound philosophical reason and logic that without the Cross of Christ pain and suffering would be meaningless and non-sense?   How is it that the world can attempt to dismiss the existence of God and Christ and people that are in positions of authority and administration be seen as intelligent and to be imitated? 



(22) Act of total abandonment to the will of God, which is for me, love and mercy itself.

Act of Oblation

Jesus-Host, whom I have this very moment received into my heart, through this union with You I offer myself to the heavenly Father as a sacrificial host, abandoning myself totally and completely to the most merciful and holy will of my God.  From today onward, Your will, Lord, is my food.  Take my whole being; dispose of me as You please.  Whatever Your fatherly hand gives me, I will accept with submission, peace and joy.  I fear nothing, no matter in what direction You lead me; helped by Your grace I will carry out everything You demand of me.  I no longer fear any of Your inspirations nor (23) do I probe anxiously to see where they will lead me.  Lead me, O God, along whatever roads You please; I have placed all my trust in Your will which is, for me, love and mercy itself.

Bid me to stay in this convent, I will stay; bid me to undertake the work, I will undertake it; leave me in uncertainty about the work until I die, be blessed; give my death when, humanly speaking, my life seems particularly necessary, be blessed.  Should You take me in my youth, be blessed; should You let me live to a ripe old age, be blessed.  Should You give me health and strength, be blessed; should You confine me to a bed of pain for my whole life, be blessed.  Should you give only failures and disappointments in life, be blessed.  Should You allow my purest intentions to be condemned, be blessed.  Should You enlighten my mind, be blessed.  Should You leave me in darkness and all kinds of (24) torments, be blessed.

From this moment on, I live in the deepest peace, because the Lord himself is carrying me in the hollow of His hand, He Lord of unfathomable mercy, knows that I desire Him alone in all things, always and everywhere.  M.F. Kowalska (1987, para. 1264)

It would stand to reason that pain and suffering is not easy to endure and we must by the grace of God be able to move past all fear and anxiety to a depth of peace and simplistic clarity that can only be given by God.  This disposition of the soul to its’ Creator can only be obtained by the grace of God and not by any willing it on our behalf, can we obtain such heights.  While pain and suffering and understanding the cross of Christ is not easy nor a desire of most souls, it cannot nor does dismiss neither history nor what has been written and, or given to us by God through such souls.  As created and contingent human beings, we are created in the image and likeness of God, in order to love and do His will on this earth.  It is by, with and through His grace that a soul is given such simplistic clarity, which enables us to see on some level more clearly, God.  It is only from, through and with Him that we exist and regardless of the mental gymnastics people attempt, can or will not change this.   





References

(Catechism of the Catholic Church 1995)(Curtayne A 1987 Catherine of Siena)Curtayne, A. (1987). Catherine of Siena. New York: Paulist Press(Catechism of the Catholic Church 1995)

The Catechism of the Catholic Church – (CCC). New York: DoubleDay.

(Holy Bible 1966 Holy Bible - RSV - Catholic Edition)The Holy Bible (1966). The Holy Bible - RSV - Catholic Edition. San Francisco: Ignatius Press.

No comments:

Post a Comment